Developing good taste in attire and good grooming habits are part of the educational
process. The School Corporation will not permit a student to wear any type of apparel or
grooming style or condition which would materially interfere with the educational
process, create an actual or potential health or safety hazard, or cause or threaten to cause
damage to school property. Therefore, clothing and personal grooming shall not be
unsanitary, unhealthy, legally immoral or indecent. This includes wearing proper
footwear. Student dress is the responsibility of both the student and the parent/guardian.
Determination if a student’s dress and appearance meets the guidelines is ultimately up to
the discretion of the administration. If a student arrives at school improperly dressed or
groomed, the administration will notify the parent/guardian to bring clothing to the
Allowable Dress & Grooming
1. Tops should reflect appropriate modesty for school;. Shirts/tops must have a full
back, and no sheer or net tops can be worn by themselves or over strapless tops.
2. Strapless tops or dresses are not permitted
3. Sleeveless shirts may not be cut low under the arm.
4. Undergarments must be worn, but are not to be exposed.
5. Shorts, skirts, dresses, (anything worn by a student) must be at an appropriate
length, even when worn with tights or leggings.
6. No holes in any garment above the appropriate length.
7. Shoes or acceptable sandals/flip-flops must be worn at all times.
8. Hats and other headwear must allow the face to be visible and not interfere with
the line of sight to any student or staff. Hoodies must allow the student face and
ears to be visible to staff. Teacher discretion in their classrooms should be
respected and followed.
Non-Allowable Dress & Grooming
1. No exposure of midriff.
2. Clothing may not depict, advertise, or advocate the use of alcohol, tobacco,
marijuana, or other controlled substances.
3. Clothing may not depict pornography, nudity, or sexual acts.
4. Clothing may not use or depict hate speech targeting groups based on race,
ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affliation or any
other protected groups.
5. Students will only be permitted to carry backpacks, purses, or other large bags
during the school day when they are going to their lockers in the morning before
class or upon leaving at the end of the school day, unless granted permission from
a teacher or administrator.
6. Students will only be permitted to wear heavy coats or jackets during the school
day when they are going to their lockers in the morning before class or upon
leaving at the end of the school day, unless granted specific permission from a
teacher or administrator.